- Did Dorothy Parker plagiarize Nabokov’s Lolita?
- On Smarm. Basically: American culture is increasingly a place where we can’t talk about serious matters, or criticize others (especially those in power) because that’s just mean. Really good read.
- The 40-Year Slump — How American Workers lost ground.
- A Tentative Exploration of the Female Gaze.
- WTF Visualizations, a cool tumblr with bad data visualizations. Fun.
- A 15-year old Texan girl apparently has a form of synaesthesia where she has “mirror touch” with machines… if confirmed, the first case where non-humans come into play.
- The 2013 Winner of the Bad Sex Awards — has been announced! It’s Manil Suri, with this passage getting extra mention:
“Surely supernovas explode that instant, somewhere, in some galaxy. The hut vanishes, and with it the sea and the sands – only Karun’s body, locked with mine, remains. We streak like superheroes past suns and solar systems, we dive through shoals of quarks and atomic nuclei. In celebration of our breakthrough fourth star, statisticians the world over rejoice.”
Go over to the article to read some more.